Earlier this year I knew it was highly likely I’d be moving. The long, draining commute to my teaching job only increased that likelihood as the school year progressed. So much of my life (2 hours on average!) was lost stuck in traffic. It sucked. This August will mark 2 years since I moved into current apartment, but due to commuting and the increasing price of rent (what I pay in NOVA makes me sick and I’m paying on the lower end) confirmed my idea to move.
I’ve begun the preliminary process of the move I’ll do when my lease is up at the end of August. The last time I had a really big move (not counting the transition after getting a job here in NOVA since everything was packed up and I was living with minimal needs for six months) I packed up everything in the span of 2.5 weeks. I made a huge trip to Goodwill, ate up food, did very little shopping and sold stuff. Now I have six weeks to pack up. I can only do so much this month (especially with me in the midst of travels), but I can start. Therefore my goals for moving preparation this month are;
- Going through items and deciding what needs to be sold/not moved (already started)
- Eating through frozen meals/freezer/ingredients-most of what I eat are perishable vegetables, but I do have some things I’d rather finish off (saving money) than move with me.
- End of month-packing up unneeded items in boxes and putting them in storage
- Reading books on my TBR shelf, movies, games and selling the ones I don’t want to keep.
- Going through clothes ala my yearly clothing purge. I do this once a year and wear everything in my closet. If I can’t justify it, away it goes.
- Finally donating that box of stuff I have chilling in my closet.
With a month and some odd days still to go, there isn’t a ton of stuff I can do, though when I turn in my non-renewal the in a week and a half, I’ll start boxing stuff up. I have a love hate relationship with moving. Not counting my moves to college and non-transitional moves less than 2 months, I have moved 5 times as of the age of 28. The average American has moved 11.4 times. Being the young nomad that I am, I would be willing to bet money I’ll exceed the average. Speaking of, I once had a supervisor, who by my age, had moved 10 times (she moved every year, even if within the same city). My moves have always been for job relocation or to cut down on moves and within state. However, I would like to live in another state or country someday!
Have you moved in the last year?